05 November 2005

 

29. Letter from Camp

Black Sheep H3 - 19 March 2004 to 21 March 2004

Dear Mom and Dad:

Yes, I know this letter is a little late, but I don’t write well when I’ve been drinking, and I’ve been drinking quite a bit lately. Er… drinking milk. Lots of milk. Yeah, it gives me gas. Oh, what the hell. Your little boy’s growing up. Deal with it. I drink beer like tomorrow will never come.

Anyway, I got to go to Black Rock this time! I had been grumbling on and off for a year because I had to miss last time, and the wait was worth it. The weather was great right from the start. We pulled up around 4:30 on Friday (March 19) and had beer waiting for us. After a quick pitching of the tent, it was on to some serious consuming. The rest of the night was a laid-back time at the fire, and I got to hang out with a whole lot of campers and campettes. Burnt Rubber did a Southern Comfort trail. Literally. It circled around Camp and featured Southern Comfort drinks.

One thing I did differently this time was get a cabin. Woah. Those things rock. They’re around a mile away from Camp, but totally worth it. They’re huge. And you can stay up all night and not bug anyone. We did a bunch 0f stuff there really early Saturday morning, but it’s all a blur.

Saturday right after daybreak was a blur, too. We missed breakfast, so I did trail with the beverage of choice (BEER) as my only nourishment. And that trail kicked our asses. Team Rescue laid it (BWAnA, 2 Crabs and Dribbles). I ended up sore for a couple days. It didn’t dawn on me that we were r*nning in the actual mountains until we blew by these hikers who were trudging along with walking sticks. Some of them looked at us like we were crazy. Well, duh. I basically collapsed at the on-in. Luckily, the collapse occurred next to the keg.

Beer pong started at the on-in. Back at camp, I got to do an Oil Can Challenge, which consists of chugging a 25.4 oz Fosters. The last time, I did it in under 50 seconds. But the pre-lube factor was a little higher this time, so I was sloooowwww. And who can forget the pigs? My first and only solid food of the day, and it was fabulous. Even the eye.

The rain chased a bunch of us back to the cabin, where Yours Truly hared a naked trail. In the rain. Beer pong, 3-Man (with human dice) and a mixology session were just some of the highlights. I think we got to bed at 4.

By 6:30, I was up again, alternating caffeine and a little Hare-of-the-Dog-type booze. Back at Camp, we hung out in the sun, did some drinking and a lot of chili eating. Let me tell you, nothing’s better when you’re hungry than listening to food sizzling on cast iron. We ended the day with Chili Awards and goodbyes.

Remember, Mom and Dad, this is just one hasher’s perspective. There was so much stuff going on that I don’t have time to get into. Let me put it this way… Remember that movie Groundhog Day? Well, if I had to relive a day over and over, I’d pick Saturday at Black Rock. That would keep me entertained for quite a while.

Love,
Your Little Camper



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?